The United Arab Emirates is a popular destination for expats; many bring their families with them when they move to the country. The process can initially seem daunting if you plan to apply for a family visa in the UAE. However, with some knowledge and preparation, it is relatively straightforward.
This blog post will provide a step-by-step guide to help you understand the process of applying for a family visa in the UAE. But first, let’s look at the benefits of having one.
A family visa in the UAE allows the spouse, children, and other family members of a UAE resident to live and work there.
Some benefits of having a family visa include the following:
- Increased support and companionship: Living with one’s family can provide security and emotional support, which can be especially important in a foreign country.
- Access to education and healthcare: Family members with valid visas have access to the UAE’s education and healthcare systems, which can be of a high standard.
- Sponsorship opportunities: A resident with a family visa can sponsor family members for residency, making it easier for them to obtain employment and other services in the UAE.
- Convenience: Having a family visa eliminates the need for separate visas for each family member when traveling in and out of the UAE.
- Increased security: having a family visa allows your family members to have legal status in UAE and allows them to access their rights and benefits.
Step 1: Gather Required Documents
Before you can apply for a family visa in the UAE, you will need to gather several documents. These include:
- A valid passport for the family member you are sponsoring
- A copy of your Emirates ID card
- A copy of your valid residence visa
- A copy of your tenancy contract or title deeds (if you own property)
- A copy of your salary certificate or proof of income
- A copy of your marriage certificate (if you are sponsoring your spouse)
- A copy of your birth certificate (if you are sponsoring your child)
- A copy of your child’s passport (if you are sponsoring your child)
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate (if you are sponsoring your child)
Step 2: Fill out the Application Form
Once you have gathered all the required documents, you will need to fill out the application form for a family visa. This form can be found on the website of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in the emirate where you are based. The form will ask for basic information about yourself and the family member you are sponsoring, as well as details about your employment and income.
However, some expats may find the process hard to follow in the crucial steps of gathering documents and form filling. Thus, consider hiring PRO services in the UAE who are professionals in the industry. They can assist you with collecting all the documents and making your visa process an easy ride.
Step 3: Submit the Application and Pay the Fees
Once you have completed the application form, you must submit it with all the required documents and pay the relevant fees. The fees will vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for and the visa length. You can use the assistance of PRO services to apply to the government body.
Step 4: Wait for the Decision
After you have submitted your application, you will need to wait for a decision. The processing time can vary, but it is typically around two weeks. You will be notified of the decision by email or SMS.
Step 5: Collect the Family Visa
If your application is approved, you must collect the family visa from the GDRFA office. You will need to take your passport and the original versions of all the documents you submitted with your application. Once you have collected the visa, you will need to take it to the airport along with the family member’s passport so they can enter the UAE.
Step 6: Complete Medical Tests
Once the family member enters the UAE, they must complete a medical test within 90 days. The test will check for infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and hepatitis B and C. The test must be conducted at an approved medical center.
Step 7: Apply for Residence Visa
Once the medical test is completed and passed, you will need to apply for a residence visa for the family member. Once the residence visa is issued, the family member will be able to live and work in the UAE for the duration of the visa.
Overall, having a family visa in the UAE can provide a more stable and secure environment for the resident and their family. It can also open up opportunities for education, employment, and other activities. With the assistance of PRO services, this process becomes so easy.